“Welcome to our fifth sustainability report. Our journey of the past five years in sustainability has been exciting, full of meaning and learning. It has set us on a path that we know is not easy and yet is so full of promise that we look forward to pursuing it.
2007-2012 : Wipro’s leap of faith into Sustainability
When we started our corporation wide initiative in Sustainability in 2007-08, its different facets were not new to us. Our programs in community care and school education were already more than five years old, and we had been working on water and electricity conservation for over a decade. We had started these programs, driven by belief that the business sector must stop seeing itself as separate from its surrounding social context.
We systematized and deepened our work in ecology with the launch of our Sustainability initiative. This was driven by the recognition of the reality that ecological issues will be a defining force for the future. Over the last five years our range of initiatives has expanded in scope, scale and richness covering multiple dimensions across ecology, the workplace, our customers and suppliers, education and community care.”
– Azim H Premji, Chairman, Wipro
The report for 2011-12 has been rated A+ for the fifth successive instance based on a rigorous external audit by DNV AS, the globally renowned provider of sustainability assurance services.
The theme for this year’s report ‘Through the looking glass of history’ suggests that we have enough lessons from our past to help us do this and to navigate the future- a future that is already upon us.
The report caps a long list of recognitions for Wipro in the sustainability space over the last 12 months. Some notable recognitions include:
- Recognized as one of the World’s most Ethical Companies in 2013 by Ethisphere for the second year in a row.
- Inclusion in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for the Third time in succession
- Recognized as a World Sector Leader in ‘Computer Services and Internet’ in the Dow Jones Sustainability Index-2012
- Ranked 2nd in Newsweek’s Global 500 Green Companies
- One of the 7 companies from the IT sector globally and the only one from India in Carbon Disclosure Leadership Index 2012